I should start by saying that I truly am a fan of Apple products, I own a MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad mini, iPad, iPhone 5c and iPhone 4. I was even employed by Apple for a while. I’m really not a hater of Apple products, I just don’t understand why they would introduce a product like the MacBook and say it’s years ahead when it’s clearly not.
Let’s get into why it’s really not years ahead.
1. Slow processor: The fastest processor you can purcahase on this machine is a 1.2GHz dual-core for a whopping $1,599. Ouch. My old 2008 iMac has a faster processor than that! The processor is at the core of your computer, if your processor is slow you’re computer will always be slow. Mind you you can’t upgrade the processor.
2. Non-upgradeable RAM. Because they built the RAM on board there’s no way to upgrade it. 8GB is a decent amount of RAM for todays standards but where will it be in two years? I’m thinking obsolete.
3. Onboard Hard Drive. What do you do when you run out of space? There’s no replacing your hard drive with a larger one.
4. Lack of connectivity. With only one port for connectivity, this could really leave you stranded when your moving files around. Let’s say you filled up your Onboard 512GB hard drive and you need to move a lot of files over to an external drive. So you plug in your hard drive and start to move some files. Half way though you realize your battery is low and need to plug it in. You can’t just plug in your power adapter because it’s in use by your external hard drive.
5. FaceTime Camera. 480p? The 5 year old iPhone 4 had a better camera than that. Fail.
I understand a lot of these things are to save space and help with battery life, but at what cost? This computer is really just a glorified iPad that runs OSX and will be obsolete in 2 years.
Categorized in: Technology
This post was written by admin